7/08/2008

What happens between 8pm and 8:30pm

It's really amazing the difference 30 minutes makes!! Yesterday, I left work around 8:30pm, ok, maybe 8:37pm. And the streets were deserted!! It very pretty eerie. Almost all the shops were closed (with their metal shutters closed) and very few people were wandering the streets. There was a strange and scary ambiance, like the empty NYC scene towards the end of Devil's Advocate. After 8:30pm, the buses switch to evening service which means less buses, and far less frequent. I had to wait 15min for my bus.

Today, however, I tried very hard to make it out by 8pm and it was a whole other world. Half of the stores were still open so the streets didn't look deserted. I wasn't heading home with an ever growing fear that I might go hungry that night due to stores being closed. It only took 2 min for my bus to arrive and my commute home was probably 30min shorter today. Plus, there were plenty of people around so no horror movie-esque scary moment. Lesson learned - don't work too late!

No comments: