7/22/2008

Rant on store closings in France

I think I have already complained about the extremely early closing of stores in France but I was pretty impressed by store owner's lack of desire to earn as much money as possible when on Monday afternoon I tried to pick up a couple things before heading back to the US. Last Friday, I had walked down rue Moufftard and saw it abuzzing with open storefronts and displays of cheeses, fruits, and wines. however, on Monday afternoon around 3pm, the street was a ghost town. I wondered if maybe they were on lunch break of something. I saw a sign or two indicating that the store would be closed for 2 weeks for vacation, but I couldn't believe that all the stores on the street would be going on vacation at the exact same time, that just wouldn't be good business strategy. Well, it turned out that Monday was store closing day. Why I asked. Apparently, these stores were open on Saturday and after the duress of being open for 5 days, 1 day off was just not enough. So we say, thank Mr. store owner for being so kind as to allow us working folk to buy some cheese on a Saturday, we know it's very much out of your way.

No comments: