7/03/2008

Paris - entry #1 - July 3, 2008

Brought to you straight from the "city of lights", the "city of love", the city of food and wine and fashion and culture and history and architecture - Paris, France...

I arrived on Wednesday, a rainy day. My plane landed early, imagine that!! I tricked my body into thinking that my 3 hour nap corresponded to the 9 hours that had just passed and that I was ready for the new day. Parisshuttle - sucks!! If you can handle your luggage yourself, take the RER instead. I waited almost 2 hours for my shuttle to arrive, only to wait another almost another 2 hours in the shuttle as everyone other than me was dropped off. Plus, the driver had to hit on me the whole time, just how many times can you tell someone you don't want to grab coffee with them? I suppose he was just taking advantage of a captive audience.

Paris metro system -
Pros - fast, reasonably clean, extensively connected
Cons - no A/C in the trains!! incroyable!!

Since the euro is totally kicking the dollar's ass, I've been trying to be stingy with money. I started by letting my PI take me to a nice little restaurant. I was totally starving - missed lunch due to the time change. So I indulged in a squid appetizer, andouillette for the main course, and tiramisu a la fraise, accompanied by a nice cote de rhone.

I also bought a phone for 4 euros - cool huh? my number is 011 33 6 88 60 73 67, but it'll probably cost you a fortune to call me since the French like to charge the caller for the priveledge of being able to reach someone on a cell phone, always thought that was weird.

Yesterday, I was listening to the radio as I sat at my desk, but today, I'm reduced to listening to internet radio, since there's only 3 power outlets (inlets?) in my room, and only one near the window where I've got my computer plugged in now and my clock radio is now too far to get a good signal, lame!!

I think I live in the sushi quarter of Paris. Right across the street from me is a little sushi place and one street to the west, there's a sakura sushi japanese restaurant. I wonder how long it'll take before I crack and end up trying French sushi (I here's it's pretty subpar).

Was working at lab today until 8pm today, what's up with that?? I thought this was supposed to be a vacation... The people in the lab are really nice though. Especially my PI, who unfortunately wants me to give lab meeting next Monday, boo.

Ok, time for bed, happy 4th!!

I'll try to carry my camera around tomorrow and start adding some nice pics to this blog.

PS. I couldn't resist buying a book called "A year in the Merde" at the airport. It's a one-year account by a brit about his horrible experiences with the unpalatable world of Parisians. So far, quite entertaining. Hopefully, my blog will be more positive...but did I mention that I have a private shower and sink but no toilet? Weird frenchies.

No comments: