7/10/2008

Parisian sushi?!?

My verdict...Not bad, not bad at all!! It far exceeded expectations which were very low due too many warnings and the foreknowledge that most Japanese restaurants in Paris are run by Chinese, as this one was (owner = Ling). Of course, it wasn't out of this world like Tomoe but who would expect such a thing.

So, before trying Parisian sushi, I was warned that - it wouldn't be very good, the pieces would be very small, and they would be super-over-priced. However, this place - Sakura sushi - http://www.sakurasushi.fr/ - was pretty good (better than the most mundane in NY), the pieces were decently sized, and the price was not bad - 21 euros for an eel maki roll and a chirashi.

Complaints: I was told that when Chinese food got a pretty bad rep in Paris, a bunch of Chinese restaurants changed overnight to Japanese restaurants (smart huh? - no stigma and charge double!). So, you'd expect these sushi chefs to have learned about sushi making from a book or a video. Well, some of the cuts of sushi I got certainly looked that way. Their fish cutting skills were definitely below par, only for the snapper and whitefish though.

However, the taste wasn't bad. Again, the snapper and whitefish lacked flavor, though stayed tender. The octopus was quite good, not too tough or slimey. The salmon was spectacular!! (almost Tomoe-grade!! ok, maybe Yama-grade) It was cut well and melted in my mouth.

Oddities: When I arrived I was served a greenish liquid. I think it was some type of drink with lycee juice, in any case, it was pretty yummy. They served shrimp chips - their Chinese side leaking through. There were mushrooms in the miso soup - Is that normal? The salad was made with cabbage instead of lettuce - ick.

All in all, I'm very glad I tried and seeing as it's right next to where I'm staying, I can see myself going again.

No comments: