2/05/2016

Floating villages and Apsara dancing

Today we took our hotel tuktuk to the town of Kompong Kleang. The ride was long but it was nice seeing the countryside. We saw many cows and farm fields as well as having passed many stands along the road. We learned that the bottles of pale yellow fluid was actually gasoline for the motorbikes to fuel up. We took a boat ride which went down the river to Tonle Sep lake and to a floating village. We took many pictures as we observed the locals fishing and working in the area. The boat ride was cool and relaxing.
As we came back to Siem Reap, we stopped for some of the bamboo filled with coconut flavored sticky rice and soy beans cooked in the bamboo stalks. I quite liked it even though the taste was quite mild.
We also went to a fruit market where we bought a durian, some rambutan, and yellow and green mangos. We are them with the milk fruit and sugar apples we bought the previous day and had a feast of fruit. It was my first time trying durian and I actually liked it. Yes it still smells like gasoline but the taste was very interesting and the texture was great. It was soft and sweet.
Then we proceeded to Lemongrass spa for massages. I got the 4 hands Khmer massage. It was unlike any massage I've  had. They have you change into a shirt and pants and massage over them instead of using oil. I think it's meant to be more invigorating than relaxing. It was a massage of constant movement, and in my case of 4 hands, 2 sets of hands constantly massaging a progression over my body. It was very cool but made it hard to concentrate on where their hands were because they kept moving around. I would totally do it again. 1 hour was not enough. I also did a manicure pedicure but they were clearly not adept at that. Stick with massages there.
Finally we went to Khlon Tu for dinner and Apsara dancing. The place was complete chaos when we got there. Hundreds of people vying for food and tables and the staff completely befuddled. I had to find our hotel reservation on their seating chart to get a seat. I was impressed however because our hotel got us a fantastic table. The food was OK. The passion fruit shake was amazing. The show was OK. Lighting made photos difficult however.
Floating houses


Cut fruit -sugar apple, milk fruit, durian, rambutan (clockwise from top left)

Apsara dancers

No comments: