2/04/2016

Bangkok to Siem Reap

Last day in paradise. I was sad to leave our private resort at Lilawalai. We had a leisurely morning as we took some sunrise photos and sat by the river overlooking the bridge and gazebo for a relaxed breakfast. Everything was beautiful, calming, and peaceful.

We took a direct taxi to the airport in Bangkok which saved a lot time.

We had lunch at the airport and I had a watermelon smoothie which made me so happy.

The flight was short which was good because it wasn't super comfortable  (1hr to Siem Reap on AirAsia).  As we arrived i quickly found the guy holding my name on a Diamond D'Angkor sign. He was super friendly and have us welcoming flowers and drive us to our hotel (20min away). At the hotel, the staff was extremely considerate and friendly. We were greeted with a cool towel and a welcome drink, an area map, as well as our local cell phones and keys. I'm really impressed with this place.

After getting settled in, we took a dip in the pool - saltwater with a seated portion with jets - fantastic. Then we headed into the city to check out the night market. What I heard about Siem Reap being super gaudy was all true. Completely necessary abuse of neon and flashing lights. All around the market there were hundreds of tuktuks hopng to find a customer. The sales pressure was enormous and I had to actually tell them to go away.

I had a passion fruit shake, some meat on a stick - gizzards and frogs, yum, and some fried noodles. I had been looking for the snake on a stick and wasn't disappointed. I bought a snake and a scorpion. The snake was good - like teriyaki flavored dried squid. I started to try the scorpion but it was a little gross for me with all its hair and innards. Overall, the night market was a gaudy tourist trap without much substance but I was able to buy a hat for my day in Angkor Wat.

No comments: