2/10/2016

Diving Ko Lanta - day 1 Ko Haa Yai

I knew the diving here would be awesome but didn't know how great my first day would be.
I expected the ocean to have some differences from the Caribbean but I didn't expect the fish would look so different and the different coral here too. Things are blue here - blue star fish and blue Christmas tree worms. The soft coral is different too. I've never seen bubble coral before - so cool! There are also amazing worms like the reticulated wart worm and the spotted wart worm - such great colors. The sea urchins are also colored - the standard spikey black urchin has shiney blue spots, the jewel urchin looks like a crown.

On the first dive I saw a tiger tail seahorse! Amazing!!

But it didn't stop there. I also saw a green turtle feeding in the bubble coral - their favorite eats, lionfish in their indigenous habitat, scorpionfish, anemone crab, and many shrimp - bubble coral shrimp, mantis shrimp. Also, I saw many spotted sea cucumbers moving about. In the past I had only seen sea cucumbers lying about on the ocean floor but here they're always on the go - climbing up reefs and such, they have lacy black feet!

Ko Haa is a number of islands south of Phi Phi and west of Ko Lanta.  There was such an abundance of life here. It's a protected marine park.

I can't wait to post some of my pictures.

No comments: