4/23/2010

4-23 Carcassonne

This is the dining room on my little farm Last breakfast :(

I left the Dordogne and drove down to Carcassonne today. I am staying in the upper floor of a private home outside of Carcassonne. It's a very nice place owned by an English woman. The best part of course is the free wifi!!

I went to the medieval city of Carcassonne this afternoon/evening. It's this great medieval castle with little narrow streets and 2, count them - 2!, city walls. The original dates back from the Roman times as it was a great trading town back then. It became a castle/city in 1200's and was an impenetrable fortress - the castle was never taken. It is really well fortified. Walking around the castle walls was great. You really get a medieval feeling - I was imagining walking around with a bow and arrow and one of those helmets with the noseguard :) There is also a medieval museum in the castle.

I had dinner in the medieval city and stayed to see the castle lit up at night. Oh - highlight of dinner was yummy duck wrapped in a crepe that's toasted to crispiness in an apple and honey sauce - delish!

Pictures of Carcassonne below:







No comments: