5/01/2014

Today has been a long day.  I got on the plane April 30 at 5:50pm and arrived in Vienna May 1 at 8:20am. I think I slept about 2hours so I'm just running on empty right now.  Therefore, I can't be bothered to integrate the pictures so they're just at the end but I did put in captions.

I was really impressed about the customs/immigration process in Vienna.  Everything was so efficient I barely believed it had happened. I had booked a taxi to pick me up and when I went to the counter to inquire, they had to call my driver to meet me there because she had been waiting at the exit area with a sign with my name on it - and I missed it!! (So sad, was always my dream.)

I picked up my keys and got into my apartment and was out the door by 11am.  I took a long tour of the city today.  I started from Schwedenplatz and walked to Stephanplatz.  I visited a number of churches including St. Peter's and St. Michael's.  I also attended a free organ concert at St. Peter's which was kind of cool.  I'm not a huge fan of organ music but when in Vienna I suppose...  St. Peter's definitely the most beautiful interior I saw today.  As for exteriors - I really like the Stephenplatz cathedral with its almost luminescent roof. I also really like the Votivkirche. 

After the concert I needed a pick me up and had a cappuccino and apple strudel in Stephenplatz. I also saw something called Mozart something made of chocolate and Marzipan (not the little Mozart balls though). I need to go back and get that next time.  After being revived by my snack, I took the do-it-yourself ringstrasse tour seeing Voltivkirche, Parliment, the stock exchange, Maria Teresien Platz, and the Athena statue before stopping at the Opera.  From there I went to the Belvedere castle and toured the grounds.  They were really beautiful.  

Then I had dinner near there before heading home.  I suppose I had forgotten from my last trip to Austria that their food offerings consist mostly of meat and dumplings.  I think I'm going to have to cook instead. Today however I couldn't since it was May 1st and all stores were closed - even supermarkets!

Apfelstrudel and Melange (Cappuccino)

Weizenbier, Stelze with knodel - do they do doggie bags in Austria? I can only eat 30% of this food at any one time.

Stephanplatz - cathedral:





St. Peter's Church where I went for a free organ concert :













Because we're in Vienna and everyone wants to be Mozart.


Why Rabbits?
 
The opera house


 Belvedere Castle:




No comments: