5/11/2014

Food in Budapest

As I mentioned earlier, "you don't go hungry in Hungary".  I have to say I had great food there.  My only regret is that I didn't get to try the Hungarian fish soup.

My first meal was at the Great Hall where I had Langos (pronounced Langosh) with sour cream and cheese which is apparently how the locals like it.  It had too much cheese for my taste but it as yummilicious.  They also had many sweet varieties of Langos but I'm thinking that's to satisfy those of us who are more familiar with fried dough.

As if the Langos wasn't enough, I proceeded to a strudel stand and tried the sour cherry strudel which was perfect - a little warm, not too sweet, yum.


For dinner, I went to Menza which was recommended by my Rick Steves Budapest guide book and showed up prominently on my google maps.  The meal was great and quite a good value. I had the Hungarian goulash and a Hungarian version of ratatouille with some Hungarian white wine.  Even the bread was quite yummy.  The food was quite salty (like in Vienna) but very flavorful.


For dessert, I had cottage cheese dumplings in sour cream with a raspberry sauce.  This was ridiculously decadent. I swear this is enough for 3 people.  It was super delicious but I could have done with smaller dumplings.


For lunch today, I went to Kantin which I just happened to be checking out when it started pouring out so I stayed.  It seemed quite touristy but maybe it was the time of day I went.  It had  fabulous prix fixe.

strawberry cream soup

Rose duck breast with salad

Meringue dessert that was fantastic
I understand Hungary used to have great wines but the vineyards suffered under communism but are making a come-back. I like the wines I tried but wish I had tried more.

There are still plenty of foods I'd love to go back and try - next time I'm in Budapest - when I'll be visiting the baths again :)

No comments: