11/10/2013

Last day in Bonaire - 11/9/13

Today was our last day in Bonaire L The week went by so fast.  I’m not sure how we got from plenty of days left to our final day  Bonaire was wonderful as usual.  The diving here is still better than anywhere else in the Caribbean even though we saw less stingrays and large animals/fish than usual.  I still don’t know if it’s due to the weather or the season we’re here.  We’re already planning our next vacation here. Maybe next year in September when the turtles hatch on the beach!

This morning I had breakfast by the water with 15 iguanas.  It rained very briefly and I was able to enjoy a fabulous rainbow.  I went for a dip in the ocean and I think I got bitten by whatever little bugs that have been eating my dive buddy.  I felt them as soon as I got in the water and came up with tiny little red bumps. Fortunately, prompt hydrocortisone solved the problem. 

Then we took a nice drive up north (before the 1-way road) and got some excellent pictures of the vistas from there and found a fabulous locale for enjoying the sunset (for our next trip to Bonaire).  We returned to that bar on the pier (Karel’s) for lunch.  It was pleasant because we were in the shade and in the oceanfront breeze.  Bonaire weather is great when there is a constant current (which there usually is, except for a couple of the stormy days we were here). 

In general, this was a great trip as usual.  The diving is incomparable.  I really enjoyed our dive company – Dive Friends which has 5 locations on the island which makes it super convenient to dive those spots.  I liked Sand Dollar also but it could have been improved by placing the swimming pool closer to the ocean.  Of course, I didn’t really discover the joy of sitting by the ocean until the last day but I think the inconstant wind had something to do with that also.  I’ve been looking into house and apartment rentals since some fellow divers on one of our boats said that they were renting a 4 bedroom place by the water for 1800/week. There appears to a number of good options that have a pool and are close to the ocean and are quite affordable.  We might do that next year and maybe dive again with Dive Friends.  I will definitely return to the dive sites at Cliff (at the Hamlet Oasis) and Bari Reef (at Sand Dollar), and maybe Dive Inn if seahorses are still around.  Such a shame that I didn’t get  picture of that guy (or the octopuses I saw). There is always next year!
Iguana love


the scuffle

Rainbow!



No comments: