12/23/2008

Himeji

Today we took the train to Himeji to see the Himeji castle - White Heron. I loved it, great diversion from endless temples, blah. Plus, the coolest thing of all, I got to wear a ceremonial Kimono that people in Court used to wear 1000 years ago. It had 12 layers and took them over 30 min to put on properly - don't worry, we took lots of pictures and I'll post them when I get the chance.

For dinner, I had sushi for the first time here in Japan. We went to this place with sushi sets and Kaisei (I think that's what you call them). I got this fancy thing that had this little armoir that had drawers of food. Interesting. The ambiance was super nice though, with a tatami room and a cute little garden outside. The sushi was good, but not excellent, I'm waiting for better - hopefully when I go to the fish market in Tokyo. But still, it was an awesome dinner experience. I think my dad didn't hate it.

A number of people here in Japan wear little face masks - white ones that go over your mouth and nose. I wonder if it's for the same reason as in China which is to protect themselves from germs. I think it's a great way of dealing with halitosis, however, getting the people who need them to actually wear them would be difficult.

I love drink vending machines. I have a newfound love for getting little bottles of hot milky tea at the train station. They keep me warm while I'm waiting for the train and make me happy because they're yummy.

Oh and onigri triangles - they sell them everywhere - convenience stores, newspaper stands... they are my new breakfast - two 100yen rice triangles wrapped in seaweed- one right away and one on the train and all is well. Even my dad had one and didn't it. To be fair, I don't think he's hated anything other than that dim sum-esque experience with the funny sweat potatoes.

Ok, off to a hot bath now - in the big bath in the ryokan that had floating fruit - some fragrant yellow fruit. They taste sour (I had it in a restaurant, not out of my bath) and smell a bit like pomelo but are shaped like oranges. They're very sweet and flowery smelling.

Morning in Kyoto tomorrow and then back to Tokyo. Hopefully, I'll be able to continue blogging from Tokyo.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

it's YUZU! yuzu baths are for good luck!!! end of year (or beginning?) ritual!!

Lily said...

Thanks Mai!! Yeah someone told us the Chinese name but that obviously didn't help me. Surprising number of Chinese people here in working in the restaurants - another one helped me order at the sushi boat place today.