5/04/2010

5-4-10

Finally, today we were able to go diving in the ocean. Not sure if I mentioned but we had be landlocked because of the high winds and therefore perilous conditions on the sea. I think underwater should have been ok but the high winds meant low visibility underwater.

It was so great to be in the ocean again, loving it!!

(must apologize for quality of pictures, still trying to relearn how my strobe works, maybe take a bit before the colors are brilliant, the decreased visibility underwater doesn't help either)

Our first dive was at Tortuga - turtle!! Yes, we did see a turtle, a cute little green turtle. The colors weren't as brilliant as at Bonaire, but after the weather we've been having it's not surprising. I can only hope it will be better day by day.

lobster out for a walk -

turtle #1

The place where our dive shop is is called Turtle Bay - it's where many turtles go to lay eggs in August. It's also where many turtles can be found poking about. During our surface interval, I decided to go snorkeling for turtles and found one!

Turtle #2
Our second dive was more shallow in a place called Redes (sp?). This was an amazing dive - abundant fish, beautiful landscapes, 1hr bottom time.
lionfish (I was told that these are not native to these waters but generally have escaped from aquariums during hurricanes) -
Fish saying hello -
Fish hiding from camera -
Stingray (hard to make out but if you look closely) -
Turtle #3 with some cleaner fish -
Turtle says - Dude, I was trying to sleep!! Stop hitting me with your massive strobe flash!
Our divemaster - Condor - was spelling out his name at 50 ft below

I love diving!! Can't wait to get back in the water tomorrow!

No comments: