5/23/2009

5-23-09 last day :(

I can't believe it's already over. It seems like I just got here. I definitely did not get enough chill hang out on deck or in water time. I always forget that I need to take dive-free days to maximize the fun on diving vacations. I think it's best when it's dive one day, no dive one day, repeat cycle. However, when it's unlimited diving, my economics maximizer goes on and I can't stop myself. Fortunately, my crazy diving has lead to lots of awesome diving, not too much sunburning, and just enough relaxing time to feel refreshed. In fact, not diving today has greatly improved my energy level and I am about ready to return to surgery hours.

Today, I spent the morning chilling on the deck with occasional pop-ins in the pool. That was very relaxing and happy-making. Then we had lunch in town. Walter rented a scooter for the afternoon and I went back to the national park for a drive through and more pictures of the flamingos (sorry, pictures taken with my land camera cannot be uploaded until I return to the US). Apparently, Walter was right, off-roading is fun, when I'm the one driving! It's especially cool to look back in the rearview and see the dust behind you. Gives meaning to "eat my dust". While driving through the park, i saw many cool birds, including the Bonairean parrot, a huge iguana in the road (which I stopped for of course), great views of the coastline, and of course flamingos - which is the whole reason i went. I took a ridiculous number of flamingo pictures.

Then I came back the hotel, did some more lie on dock, dunk in pool, repeat cycle.

I was supposed to meet Walter for drinks on an oceanfront bar to watch the sunset, but due to miscommunication, that didn't happen. We did have dinner there. the food was ok, but the view was great, and it was great to have the ocean breeze the whole time.

Now I am back on the dock of our hotel watching fish swim.

Another great thing about this dock is the viewing of pelicans and other birds as they dive for fish. they are amazingly accurate and fast. Speaking of fast, I never knew that iguanas could run super fast,but I saw it today and was thoroughly impressed.

More photos to come...

No comments: