3/07/2014

Day on Jaco Beach

Today was dedicated to relaxation (well after our surf lesson that is).  We spent the whole day at our resort - Hotel Club del Mar in Jaco. We had a 2 bedroom apartment with full kitchen which allowed us to cook some food for breakfast.

I got up early today for my 7:30 surf lesson.  My teacher was John (surely Juan) and he works for Del Mar surf camp.  We started out with a lesson about surfing and then we headed to the water.  Jaco is know for its surfing although the beach in front of our hotel isn't the best surfing spot as the waves are much bigger at Playa Hermoso but for the intro class it was perfect.  Surfing was a lot harder than I had imaged.  The balance thing wasn't bad but jumping up when the wave hits the bad of the surfboard and getting your feet into position was the most challenging thing for me.  I was initially nervous to even jump but then I realized it didn't have to be as instantaneous as I had thought (well, not for the baby waves we were practicing on anyway).  Then the hardest part as just getting my feet into the right position the first shot because trying to adjust after you're on is virtually impossible.  I had a great time though. I learned to turn to the left and right and caught some good waves, although I spent more time wiping out.  I'm not sure if I'll do much more surfing though.

After that it was all relaxation for the rest of the day.  It was spent over a combination of lying out under sun, swimming in ocean, and swimming in pool time.  It was great and was over too quickly.






For dinner we went to the Taco Bar which advertises heavily along the roads.  It was actually a great place.  You get to pick your meat - they specialize in fish, how it's cooked - grilled vs beer battered, and the  flavoring - herbs, spicy, coconut.  Then you can get whatever you want from the salad bar as toppings.  It was a great meal for very little money.  I'd definitely recommend it!

It's sad to be leaving Costa Rica.  I really had a great time. It's hard to say what my favorite part was as everything was so awesome.  The worst part was definitely the drive to Monteverde but all the activities were great.  We definitely had great luck in all the parks with our guided tours. We saw all the rare animals and got to take pictures of them.  I think we had great guides along the way.

[The only thing that makes me a little sad is that it's so hard to see these animals it's almost necessary to hire a guide and therefore making it a luxury item to see cool wildlife.  Of course, if you've got the equipment - high def binoculars or sighting scopes - you can see them on your own if you eavesdrop on the guided tours but making those purchases isn't cheap either.  Therefore, if you're low on funds, then you see the flora and maybe a couple animals/birds that aren't too far away but otherwise, no pay no play.]

I will definitely come back and I definitely want to do the hike from Monteverde to Arenal.

No comments: